All clients have the right to have someone to represent their interests and help them with complaints or disputes with the Centre or to help them understand any aspect of services delivered by the Centre.

An advocate can be a relative, friend, neighbour, social worker or someone from an advocacy service. For more information on formal advocacy services please refer to the organizations listed below.

Advocacy: is providing active support for another person or group, to help ensure their rights are respected and protected. Advocacy always focuses on the needs, wishes and rights of the consumer, including protection of confidentiality.

An Advocate: is someone who intercedes or acts on behalf of another person.

Should you require any further information please contact the Centre Manager of the Cann Valley Bush Nursing Centre. Alternately, if you prefer to use an external body, independent of the Cann Valley Bush Nursing Centre, please contact:

Office of the Health Services Commissioner – This office answers questions and deals with complaints about health services in Victoria.
Ph: 1800 136 066 or (03) 8601 5200
Fax: (03) 8601 5219

Office of the Public Advocate – This office protects the rights of people with disabilities and can assist if there is a complaint about services, care or treatment of the disabled.
Ph: (03) 9603 9500
1300 309 337

Elder Rights Advocacy – This office provides advocacy services to consumers in residential care.
Level 2, 85 Queen St
Melbourne VIC 3000
Ph: 1800 700 600 or (03) 9602 3066
Fax: (03) 9602 3102